How do I get a
ASL is happy to help its students get visas.
Many questions can be answered before-hand if you consider the
following advice and directions:
If you do not come from a country within the European Union or the
European Economic Area, you need a visa to study at a university in
Germany. Exceptions apply to people who come from Australia, Japan,
Canada, Israel, New Zealand, the USA, Switzerland, Honduras, Monaco and
San Marino. All visas are not the same. A "tourist visa" cannot be
converted to a "student visa" after it has been issued. As a "tourist"
you do not have the right to study at a university in Germany. You must
pay careful attention to the type of visa you apply for. For
international university students and university applicants there are
three visa options:
- a language school visa that cannot be converted to a student visa
- a university applicant visa that is valid for 3 months and with a
certificate of attendance from a German course can be extended for up
to 18 months
- a visa for studying at a university that is valid for 1 year. To get
this visa, you need:
- an approval notification from a German university or Studienkollegs
and proof of:
- financial guarantee of your stay
- For Au-Pairs who have fulfilled the university requirements, the visa
can be converted to a university preparation language course visa after
1 year in Germany.
To apply for a university applicant visa, you need the following
- a valid passport
- passport photos
- a university admissions qualification that is recognized in Germany
(a certificate of university matriculation). A certificate can be
officially recognized at the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle (Office of
- proof of enrolment in a language course
- proof of previous university studies
- proof that all your finances will be covered for 1 year
For the application for a visa to study at a university, the admissions
decision at the university or the Studienkollegs is also required. In
some cases, a written confirmation from the university stating that
they have all the admission documents is enough.
Application for the visa is made at the German embassy or consulate in
your home country. It is best to apply for your visa as early as
possible. The German embassy or consulate has more specific information
regarding the visa application process.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact ASL.
After you have booked and paid for your course at ASL, you will get a
confirmation that makes you eligible to submit your visa application
with all necessary documents. In most cases, you will then get your
visa from the embassy or consulate. If you should not get your visa,
you will get a refund of your course fees minus a small processing fee.
You can also change your course start date for no additional charge.